Chinese New Year Hot Chocolate Bombs are a fantastic way to ring in the Lunar New Year! These brightly colored hot cocoa bombs are easy to make, fun to do with the kids, and you can totally customize them to your tastes. If you are looking for an easy recipe for Hot Chocolate Bombs, this is it.
Chinese New Year Hot Chocolate Bombs
Have you made hot chocolate bombs before? If not, you are in for a real treat. Warm milk, sweet and smooth hot chocolate and creamy marshmallows await you when you make these. You definitely won’t be disappointed.
This fun trend started on TikTok. The great thing about making these is that you can make them for any reason or event! And they are kid-friendly so the kids can get involved with making these. You can make them for Chinese New Year, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day and Easter! You can also make them for a themed party such as an Unicorn Birthday Party!
And a great thing about the mold to make these chocolate bombs can be used in so many different ways.
Before you get started on this hot and comforting beverage, here are some answers to questions you might have.
How Do You Use Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Since these decadent balls of chocolate are full of hot chocolate mix and marshmallows, just put the chocolate sphere into a coffee mug and pour milk over the ball. The hot liquid will make the chocolate melt and all of the goodies inside will rise to the top.
How Long with Hot Chocolate Bombs Last?
They will last up to two weeks.
How do I store the Hot Chocolate Bombs?
If they are full of just hot cocoa mix and marshmallows, you can leave them on the counter. If you have alcohol or other liquid inside there, it’s best to store them in the fridge.
How to Make Chinese New Year Hot Chocolate Bombs
You will find a complete list of ingredients, supplies, as well as directions on the printable recipe card below. I have included in-process photos for your reference.
- 1 – 10 oz chocolate candy wafers (Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup Hot Chocolate Mix or two packets of Instant Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- Gold Edible Jewel Dust Glitter – Gold Edible Jewel Dust® Glitter – CI-23002 | Country Kitchen SweetArt (countrykitchensa.com)
- Celebakes Rowdy Red Candy Wafers
- Place the mold(s) into the freezer while you are melting the chocolate.
- Melting the chocolate:
- You can either:
- Follow the directions on the package to melt the chocolate in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl OR you can set up a double boiler to melt the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove the candy molds from the freezer and place on a small baking sheet. Next, add 1 tbsp of the chocolate into the mold. Use your spoon to move the chocolate around the inside of the mold. Make sure that you apply the chocolate evenly.
- Repeat the process for the remainder of the molds. When you are done, lightly tap the mold(s) to get any air bubbles out.
- Place the mold on the baking sheet back into the freezer and let the chocolate spheres set up for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the chocolate bomb molds from the freezer.
- Carefully remove the chocolate from the molds.
- Heat a plate in the microwave for approximately 60 seconds. Remove from the microwave then as you work on each mold, turn one of the bomb halves upside down and place it directly onto the hot plate for 5 to 10 seconds. You just want the rim to gently melt.
- Fill the molds with 1 tbsp of the hot cocoa mix and top with mini marshmallows.
- Then repeat the step to melt the rim of the bomb you are using to top your hot chocolate bomb.
- CAREFULLY press the two halves together.
- Repeat the process until all of the chocolate bombs are done.
- To add edible dust, dip a paint brush into the dust and paint as much or as little as you want onto the chocolate sphere. It’s dries immediately.
- Melt ½ cup of the red wafers and either fill a squeeze bottle to drizzle the chocolate over the hot cocoa bombs or use a fork dipped into the melted candy and drizzle it over the bombs. .
- Top with the sprinkles.
- To use the bomb, place it in a large mug, pour warm milk over it and stir until everything is mixed together and enjoy!
- Chocolate mold
- Sprinkles – https://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/occasions/gold-sprinkle-mix/42/565/895/657053/
- Food safe paint brush
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1345Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 982mgCarbohydrates: 233gFiber: 9gSugar: 180gProtein: 19g